A page for reflection and sharing with the D-period Algebra II class.

Friday, August 21, 2009

Summer Vacation!

It is always fun to come back to school in September and share stories about your summer vacation. Let's share a special moment with the class - and get to know each other.

This August, I spent three weeks in Australia and New Zealand. It was a life-long dream of mine to snorkle the Great Barrier Reef, and I was blown away by the wonderous life that I experienced there. Not only did I see hundreds of different types of fish, many types of coral, and find Nemo, but I got to swim with the Minke whales. They are about 24 feet long and they swam within ten feet of me. I cannot begin to describe the feeling of being in the water with these creatures, and will forever remember it. On land, I saw kangaroo (ate some too), koalas, crocodile (ate some of that as well) and many different types of birds. In New Zealand, I traveled across the Southern Alps and saw more sheep than I saw humans! Overall, it was a wonderful vacation and I cannot wait to go back for more.

Please comment and share your summer vacation with the rest of the class.

9 comments:

  1. This sounds like so much fun. I'm sure that the Great Barrier Reef was a sight to see. I am a HUGE marine biology freak and I think that visitiing this particular reef would be a must see. I haven't gotten my scuba certification yet so I will have to wait until I'm certified to visit. Over the summer I went with my family to Palm Springs for a while. It was unbearably hot and reached 107 degrees. Needless to say it was a very hot week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, you do not need to be certified to scuba to see the Great Barrier Reef. I snorked it and saw a ton of things. But, many to scuba the reef and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that sounds like a fantastic trip! I can't belive you got to swim with whales, that sounds so scary! Nicole your vacation sounds fun too, I love Palm Springs! Over the summer I went on a three week trip to South Africa with my entire family (18 of us in total!) I can't even begin to explain just how life changing Africa was. We would spend two or three days in one place and then drive or fly to a different one. I can't really remember the names of all the places we staid at, but I do know we went to Nairobi, Tanzania, Kenya, and the Ngorongoro Crater. We staid in lodges for the most part, but once we camped in tents right out in the open! We went on safari everyday and saw thousands of wild animals up close. It was scary but so amazing! We even got to spend time in a few Masai villages. They asked us to dance their traditional dances with them, and we showed them the moon walk and line dancing! Seeing how happy these people were even in such poverty made me feel so fortunate. The Masai warriors would guard us and dance for us at night. Africa was trully the trip of a lifetime, and I would do the whole thing again in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like fun, all I did was go to the east coast and lived in fear of the Yankee fans for a week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i still want to get certified :)
    i think the experience will be that much more exciting.
    wow emily that sounds like so much fun. im sure they were happy to spend time with you and your family. im sure they had as much fun as you did:)
    max, was one of those fans gianni?? hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That sounds like fun Ms. Myers. It reminds me of the time when my family went to the bahamas and my sister went snorkeling and she said she saw a pufferfish expand

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emily, your trip makes my trip feel so insignificant. I didn't do much over the summer. I slept, ate and chilled from june to july. In August my parents and I went to Martha's Vineyard Massachusetts for about a month. We've been going there every August since I was four. Martha's Vineyard is a tourist destination off of the mainland in Massachusetts. There is only two ways to get there, by ferry (or personal yacht) or aircraft. Most people elect for the 45 minute ferry trip, I guess it seems safer. This year we were there during Senator's Kennedy's passing and subsequent funeral and Tropical Storm Danny. It was actually pretty fun to witness the power of Danny, there were 12-15 foot waves on pretty much all the beaches, there were rumors of a 25 foot rogue wave that crashed on the Gay Head Cliffs (that is actually the name of the cliffs) , some roads inland were flooded from the amount of rain and we lost our TV signal every now and then. So all and all I had a pretty good vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emily, I have always wanted to go to Africa (but my first trip was Australia). I am now saving up to go to Africa next! I definitely want to camp out in the middle of nowhere and hear all of the animal noises.

    Philip - no trip is insignificant. Being part of a tropical storm must have been cool as well. Do you surf? If so, this would have been great.

    I love hearing about everyone's summer, don't you?

    ReplyDelete